Wellington is the political capital of New Zealand. The city is compact, cultured and full of character. Nestled between the harbor and the hills, the downtown area is ideal for explorations on foot - shopping, cafes, transport, accommodation and the city's major attractions are compressed into an area that's conveniently at walking distance. Wellington's visitors come to browse museums, historic places and galleries, including the highly acclaimed national museum Te Papa. From a food and wine point of view, the city is truly delectable. Night time entertainment includes professional theatre, live concerts, comedy shows and dance performances.
Places to Visit
- Discover former Lord of the Rings filming sites with one of the Wellington's tour companies.
- Historic Cable Car travels from downtown Wellington up to the Botanic Garden, where there are sweeping views of the city and harbour.
- Mount Victoria, for a 360-degree panorama of Wellington.
- Hire some inline skates or a bicycle rickshaw and zoom down to Oriental Bay and back.
- Te Papa is New Zealand's innovative national museum.
- The Museum of Wellington presents the intriguing tales of Wellington.
- Zealandia - The Karori Sanctuary, home to some of New Zealand's rarities including kiwi.
- Enjoy animal antics at Wellington Zoo - New Zealand's oldest zoological park.
- Harbour Cruises, between the city and Days Bay, where you'll find seaside cafes and quality craft shops.
- Hire a Sea Kayak and paddle around the picturesque bays of Wellington Harbour
- Take a Four-wheel Drive Tour to the south coast and see a colony of New Zealand fur seals.
- Kapiti Coast, where you can enjoy golden beaches and a gourmet lifestyle.
- Car Museum, for the Southern Hemisphere's largest collection of antique and unusual cars.
- The Tasman Sea Coastline offers a multitude of outdoor activities, including exceptional bird watching.
- Spend some time tasting world class wines in the Wairarapa Region..