Located southeast of Auckland is the town of ROTORUA, one of the most popular destinations in New Zealand. Rotorua is famous for its incredible geysers and thermal mud pools, and is also replete with constantly active hot spots producing steam and heat. It is also the tribal home of the Te Arawa people, who settled in lakeside geothermal areas more than 600 years ago! In addition to this, Rotorua has a hub of adventure-culture –you can find everything from sky diving to zorbing out here.
Places to Visit
- Visit Waitomo Caves, where local Maori guides will delight you with stories and legends and guide you through the Glow-Worm Cave with a breath-taking underground boat trip lit with millions of tiny glow-worms.
- Hell's Gate is a fascinating thermal park. It features the only hot waterfall in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The Shweeb will get your pulse racing as you compete against your family and friends or the clock to challenge the world record. It’s a lot of fun.
- Watch the famed Pohutu Geyser explode at the Whakarewarewa Thermal Reserve.
- Choose a flying sight-seeing excursion to White Island (New Zealand's only active marine volcano) or over the gaping red crater of Mount Tarawera (now dormant).
- Lake Taupo, the lakeside community is alive with great places to eat, drink and party. Trout fishing should be on your menu of things to do.