Christchurch City - "The Garden City" - has a truly relaxed pace and heritage heart, sophistication, and a sense of adventure. The South Island's largest city, Christchurch is an entertaining mixture of refined lifestyle and cultural excitement. The tranquil Avon River meanders through the city, historic buildings house a lively arts community and restored trams make it easy for visitors to get around.
Places to Visit
- Take a Hot Air Balloon ride high above the city.
- Find out what it's like in the middle of an Antarctic storm at The International Antarctic Centre.
- Jump out of an aircraft on your first Sky Dive - we dare you!
- Try Paragliding at Christchurch's Port Hills.
- Admire the Mona Vale Homestead with five hectares of gardens and fabulous views of the Avon River.
- Ride in a Tram around the city centre.
- Sit back and relax in a punt as a boatman guides you past the sights of the central city on the Avon River.
- Travel up the Christchurch Gondola for massive views of Christchurch, the Canterbury Plains, Banks Peninsula and Lyttelton Harbour.
- Visit Air Force World, it brings you face to face with 28 classic aircraft, thousands of artifacts, artworks and stories of famous aviators.
- Southern Encounter Aquarium is an interactive aquarium in the city centre.
- At Orana Wildlife Park you can experience the diverse splendour of the animal kingdom in tranquil, spacious surroundings.
- Get the stunningly scenic Tranzalpine Express Journey to Arthur's Pass
- Watch New Zealand's rarest dolphin - the Hector's dolphin - on a wildlife cruise of Akaroa Harbour.
- Soak in the hot thermal pools at Hanmer Springs Thermal Reserve or have fun on the Hydroslide.
- Have a whale of a time in Kaikoura: Go whale-watching by boat or air at any time of the year.