The resort town of Queenstown is sophisticated and fantastically scenic. Its lake and mountain landscape is suited to almost any kind of adventure; but Queenstown is just as well known as a place for indulgence. The area's history is intertwined with gold. In 1862, two sheep shearers struck it rich at the edge of the Shot over River. The ensuing gold rush town was named Queenstown because '...it was fit for Queen Victoria'. Adventure activities include snow sports, bungee jumping, jet boating, horse trekking and river rafting. Indulgent experiences include exceptional food and wine, lake cruises, spa treatments, boutique shopping and leisurely games of golf.
Places to Visit
- Climb Queenstown Hill or Ben Lomond for fantastic views of Queenstown and beyond.
- Ride the Skyline Gondola for the classic picture postcard shot across Lake Wakatipu and Queenstown to The Remarkables mountain range.
- Hurtle through the air attached to a Skydive instructor.
- Hang Glider, Parapente or Bungee.
- Go Jet Boating, Rafting or Canyon Swinging.
- Burn off some energy Ice Skating, Skiing or Snowboarding.
- Take a unique breathtaking ride through dramatic and narrow canyons, hold on tight for Queenstown's only exhilarating full 360 degree spins on Shotover Jet.
- The national parks of Fiord Land and Mount Aspiring offer a range of half or full day walks.
- Enjoy a spectacular day on a cruise of the famous Milford Sound
- Gibbston Valley, Queenstown's main wine producing area.