Melbourne is a maze of hidden laneways, opulent bars, exclusive restaurants and off-the-beaten-track boutiques. Here you can soak up culture, hit the sporting grounds, taste the dynamic food and wine scene, dance till dawn or wander the parks and leafy boulevards. Visit Federation Square, the city's landmark cultural space, and enjoy a sunset beer on the St Kilda promenade. Shop till you drop on funky Brunswick Street or up market Chapel Street. Wander Southbank's cafes, bistros and bars and get a world tour of cuisines in Carlton, Richmond and Fitzroy.Take an Aboriginal Heritage Walk through the Royal Botanic Gardens and cheer with a capacity crowd at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Places to Visit
- Fill Up yourself by visiting the Australian Centre for the Moving Image in Federation Square, a landmark cultural 'space' for Melbournians or the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
- For the awe inspiring views from the highest viewing platform in the Southern Hemisphere at Melbourne's Eureka Tower. Skydeck 88
- At night hit the famous Crown Casino and try some luck.
- Go Wild with more than 300 animal species from Australia and around the world just 4km from the city centre at award-winning Melbourne Zoo.
- Fish the Melbourne Aquarium. It is the newest and most state-of-the-art aquarium in Australia.
- Join the kids squealing with delight as Phillip Island's little penguins waddle up the beaches, see the seals lolling on the rocks and spy the koalas on the treetops at this wildlife wonderland.
- Travel one of the world's most scenic roads through The Great Ocean Road region which covers south-west Victoria and is home to the famous 12 APOSTLES.
- Explore Grampions National Park, located 3 hours northwest of Melbourne.