The greatest and finest sanctuary of ancient Athens, dedicated primarily to its patron, the goddess Athena, dominates the centre of the modern city from the rocky crag known as the Acropolis. Athens, the Greek Capital, also happens to be a city of contradictions. It is the oldest city in Europe, yet still in a state of transition. It's one of Europe's safest and liveliest cities – a heady mix of grunge and grace with an undeniable urban soul. Most visitors will leave impressed with its vibrant street life and relaxed lifestyle, where people take time out for endless coffees and evening strolls, dine out until late and enjoy the city's nightlife, long after the rest of Europe has gone to bed.
THINGS TO DO:
- Visit The Acropolis to see the Parthenon
- Stop by the ancient Agora
- Visit the Plaka district of Athens
- Visit the National Archaeological Museum, Benaki Museum and Byzantine Museum
- The Temple of Olympian Zeus (Olympeion)
- The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier